Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nancy's Express Tomato Bruschette

One night last week I came home from work late and realized I had not prepared dinner in advance - I usually do this a day earlier. I looked around my kitchen and spotted some ripe tomatoes in a basket. I made these bruschette (Italian for "toasts") in a rush - 10 minutes.

Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 one-inch thick slices Italian bread
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped red onion (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley leaves
3 to 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup grated cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano)

Place bread slices on a baking sheet and position 6 inches away from top oven broiler-grill. With oven setting on "broil", toast the bread slices on one side only. Transfer the bread slices onto a platter and drizzle them lightly with some oil; set aside.

In a medium bowl, gently toss together the tomatoes, onion, chopped basil or parsley with 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust oil and seasonings. Spoon equal amounts of the tomato mixture over the bruschette and top with some cheese. Serve immediately.

Note: Traditional bruschette recipes begin with the rubbing of a cut clove of garlic on each slice of bread, followed by the toasting procedure.

Tip: To remove the bite but not the flavor from sliced or chopped raw onions, place them in a bowl of cold water, give them a squeeze and drain. Use in recipe as directed.

Text © Nancy Real 2010

1 comment:

  1. Great post! The "express" part is one of the best things about the bruschette. They taste great and you can make them so quickly with just a few simple ingredients.
    -Daniela

    ReplyDelete