Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hummus Heat with Pitas & Vegetables


Makes 2 - 2-1/2 cups

Hummus is a garbanzo bean dip from Mediterranean countries but has now become popular all over the world. Even kids are reaching for a pita wedge or a carrot stick to dip in hummus. My addition of the chipotle chile accounts for the "heat". Make Hummus Heat for your friends and family and watch it disappear in moments.

1-1/2 to 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained -or-
One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 tablespoons sesame tahini
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Juice of 1 small lemon
1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 fresh parsley sprigs
2 to 3 six-inch pita breads, cut into wedges
4 to 5 celery stalks, peeled and julienned
2 to 3 large carrots, peeled and julienned
1 large or 5 small Persian cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick circles

In a food processor, blend the garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, lemon and chiles to a grainy paste. Taste and adjust olive oil, salt, lemon and chipotle chile levels (you may add more, to taste). Transfer the hummus to a 3-cup serving bowl. Make a small well in center (about 1/2-inch deep) and fill it with olive oil; place parsley sprigs as garnish in center of olive oil in well.

Serve as an appetizer, accompanied by pita wedges, celery, carrots and cucumbers.

Tips: For a thinner consistency, add more olive oil or 1 tablespoon of sour cream.

Notes: "Cooked garbanzo beans" refers to dry garbanzos and following package cooking instructions.

Sesame tahini is a paste made with ground sesame seeds and can be found in the ethnic foods section of large supermarkets or in Middle Eastern grocery stores.

Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are sold in cans and can be found in the ethnic foods section of large supermarkets or in Latin American grocery stores.

Text and Photographs © Nancy Real 2010

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    Wow, your blog looks completely different from the last time I saw it! I like that you decided to use black type — so much easier to read. And it's great that you have a photo with your post to create some excitement for the recipe. The template you're using is actually the one I started with. :)

    I've never put chipotle in adobo in hummus but I bet it tastes great. I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried out a variation of your recipe yesterday! The chipotle chiles are a good idea. We used to use cayenne pepper to make it spicy but I like the chipotle chiles better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,

    Your hummus is out of this world! Can't wait to try this recipe. My kids will be so impressed! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete