Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nancy's Tastes & Trips - "The Market" at Santa Monica Place

Last week, I went shopping at Santa Monica Place, located in Santa Monica. At high noon, my growling stomach led the way up to the 3rd level of the mall where I was surrounded by restaurants and a food court. Suddenly, I noticed a bright red sign -The Market.

I'm glad the word "Market" screamed at me because once inside this upscale food court, I discovered casual-chic restaurants that use local, organic ingredients and foods that are artisanal or handcrafted. Food quality and warm personalities of the proprietors and staff create a unique, Euro-California atmosphere (you'll love it!).



I wanted some prosciutto and immediately spotted Norcino Cheese Bar. The warm atmosphere, the array of cheeses and salumi (these are cured meat products mostly made from pork) ushered me in.






I couldn't decide if I wanted a panino, cheese & prosciutto platter or a salad. I ended up ordering all three with a glass of wine (I got the panino to go). And if I don't feel like making panini, I can get them at Norcino Cheese Bar at the spur of the moment!



The above foods only acted as an appetizer because I was still hungry. Across the way from Norcino, I saw Primi al Mercato (same owners) - it pulled me in with an invisible magnet. I was then flabbergasted when presented with a homemade pasta menu. And no wonder - this place has a "laboratorio di pasta" which translates to "pasta lab". The pastas are made fresh, daily and on the premises.












Have you ever eaten gourmet, homemade pasta like this in a mall? Of course not. Left to right: Tortelloni ai Funghi filled with ricotta and porcini and served with butter sage sauce; Cavatelli with Maine Lobster Sauce; and Green Tortellini with Four Cheeses & Aurora Sauce - DELIZIOSO! And guess what? You can order GLUTEN-FREE PASTA, too. Go to Primi and you'll come back time and time again to try various menu selections.







Whether it was Norcino or Primi, I was welcomed by a fantastic staff. Chef Fernando Ortega (holding the wine) is so proud of the dishes he prepares and Giuseppe is friendly, takes care of the restaurant's patrons and smiles a lot.







At The Market all you have to do is wish for a luscious food and it suddenly appears. As I walked out of Primi al Mercato Restaurant, I turned left and immediately saw L'Artisan du Chocolat.











I was greeted by Mary Allen, who asked me to taste a beautiful, highly decorated chocolate (I was afraid to touch these chocolates so as not to ruin the art). I told Mary that I'd never seen chocolates like these before. She responded, "They're all handmade."

At L'Artisan, you can enjoy something sweet without feeling guilty. You can buy one chocolate or cookie at a time. And, the exquisitely-wrapped boxed chocolates are a perfect gift for any occasion.










As I made my way out, I was tempted once more. Aware of being a few blocks away from Santa Monica Beach, I was immediately attracted to the name of this ice cream shop - Beachy Cream.

With a preference for all-natural, organic homemade foods with no chemical preservatives or color, I can't believe I found ice cream that meets this criteria. Beachy Cream does not lure its customers to a product with visuals - those bright pinks and greens are totally absent.












Instead, this summertime treat teases you with its pure and vibrant flavors (cream, fruit, chocolate and spices) - Surfin' Chocolate Chip, Key Lime Cowabunga, Ginger Wipeout, Bitchin' Chocolate Chocolate, etc.















Whether you're going to Beachy Cream to ask questions and shoot a zillion photos (as I did) or whether you're unsure of what to buy, Stephanie is there to patiently assist you with grace and professionalism.



In the past week, I've gone to The Market three times. I enjoy the food, the atmosphere and the wonderful people who work there. The Market is a great place to chill and enjoy life. Go there on your lunch hour, for dinner or on your next day off.

Make sure to shop first (try on clothes while you feel thin). Then, go up to the 3rd Level of Santa Monica Place and let The Market satisfy all your cravings!


All Text and Photographs © Nancy Real 2011, except for
Malibu's Natural Ice Cream Beachy Cream (ice cream sandwich photograph).

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I haven't had much interest in SM Place but with this illustrated post it seems I must go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be pleasantly surprised - truly.

    ReplyDelete