Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4
Traditionally, I've enjoyed tomatoes sliced and tossed with onions, olive oil and basil.
But recently, I tweaked this tomato salad from Southern Italy by adding walnuts. When I served it to guests, it was a hit. And now, I'm sharing it with all of you - enjoy!
Ingredients:
4 large, vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup chopped, freshly shelled walnuts
4 large, fresh basil leaves, cut in slivers with cooking shears
In a serving platter, lay out the tomatoes in overlapping circles. Scatter the red onion slices over top of tomatoes, followed by salt and pepper.
Drizzle the olive oil over tomato salad, followed by a sprinkle of walnuts and slivered basil.
Serve immediately with ciabatta bread (Italian slipper bread) or focaccia.
This salad can also be served as a side dish to meat, fish or poultry.
Text and Photograph ©2012 Nancy Real.

No comments:
Post a Comment